Portsmouth Youth Social Action Conference 2017
Nearly 200 people, ranging from 13 to 60+ attended the Portsmouth Youth Social Action Conference on Thursday 16th February 2017.
Portsmouth Together and Pompey in the Community hosted the day with others, in a bid to drive up the numbers of youngsters volunteering in the city. Speakers of the day included:
- Alison Jeffery, Director of Childers Services and Education
- Dr Rania Marandos, and Chloe Hinde representing the #iwill campaign
- Ben Dowling, UNLOC
- Leo Watson and Rikesh Nagamah – City Year UK
- Sayeeda Nur, Chair, Portsmouth Youth Voice
- Clare Martin, Pompey in the Community and Portsmouth NCS scheme
- Penny Mordaunt MP for Portsmouth North attended the morning session and Flick Drummond, MP for Portsmouth South attended later in the day to hand out awards for the Portsmouth Youth Voice awards.
Presentations from the day are available to download from the right side of this page.
The organisers would like to thank The Southern Cooperative for their financial assistance and commitment to the event
Views from the Day
A number of blogs have been written by some of the attended the conference:
- Nadia Zemouri and Sam Bell from Youth Inmpact UK attended the conference and madia gives her impressions of the event: https://www.youthimpact.uk/reading-opinion/opinions/portsmouth-social-action-conference-report
- Jack Welch, a Youth Impact UK Young Researcher reported on his personal experiences from and the thoughts on the event: http://www.youthimpact.uk/reading-opinion/opinions/social-action-practice
- Andreaa Tudor, Community and Campaigns Co-ordinator, The Southern Cooperative, writes a piece on linked in entitles ‘What I’ve learnt from the 2017 Portsmouth Together Youth Social Action Conference’: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-ive-learnt-from-2017-portsmouth-together-youth-social-tudor
The Portsmouth Youth Voice Awards 2017
The Portsmouth Youth Voice Awards 2017 were presented at the Portsmouth Youth Social Action Conference.
Nominations were taken from young people in the city, a group of whom made the final decisions about shortlists and winners. Each of the winners were recognised by the young people they work with.
Not everyone nominated could win and we were amazed by the range of nominations we received and it was great to be able to read about all the amazing work being done in Portsmouth.
The Youth Voice Awards were presented in partnership with Portsmouth Together and the Youth Voice Network.
Photographs from the Day
Photographs were taken throughout the day and are available at The Portsmouth Together Flickr site https://www.flickr.com/photos/portsmouth_together/sets/72157680601032225/