To be held on Thursday 16th February 2017 at Fratton Park, the Portsmouth Youth Social Action Conference is a full day of workshops, discussions and panels.
The conference seeks to bring together professionals from the public sector, the third sector, Councillors, youth organisations, and most importantly young people, to discuss, "How do we enable more young people to get involved in volunteering and social action"?
The conference is being jointly hosted by The Portsmouth Together Partnership, Pompey in the Community and Portsmouth Youth Voice Network and in association with Step Up To Serve and the #iwill campaign.
A recent Demos report found that today’s young people are more engaged with social action and volunteering than any generation preceding them and we know that voluntary organisations across Portsmouth are continuously seeking new volunteers. So how do we bridge this gap?
The conference will present local and nation examples of positive activity in developing youth social action. Our aim is to develop and enhance quality social action opportunities for young people in Portsmouth. The conference will be open to 200 attendees and we aim to have at least 25% under the age of 25.
Important - as we are arranging for young people to be able to attend with their organisations only 140 tickets will initially be available to book via Eventbrite.
Confirmed Speakers so far include:
- Alison Jeffery, Director of Childers Services and Education, PCC
- Dr Rania Marandos, Deputy Chief Executive, Step Up To Serve
- Hayden Taylor, Managing Director at UNLOC
- Leo Watson, City Year UK
- Peter Marcus, Portsmouth Youth Voice Network
- Flick Drummond, MP for Portsmouth South
- Clare Martin, Pompey in the Community and Portsmouth NCS scheme
A more detailed agenda will be circulated closer to the events but we can conform that the conference will include 4 workshops, each of which will be run twice during the day. You will be asked to select your preffered workshops as part of this eventbrite regsitration.
- Benefits and barriers to young people to get involved in youth social action - Facilitated by UNLOC
- Creating more opportunities for young people involved in volunteering in social action - Facilitated by NCS
- Enabling more young people to make a difference across Health & Social Care - Facilitated by Step Up To Serve
- Giving Young People a Voice - Facilitated by Portsmouth Youth Voice Network and the Children's and Young Person Alliance (CYPA)
The event will conclude with the presentation of the 'Portsmouth Youth Voice Awards 2017' by the Portsmouth Youth Voice Network. For more information on the awards youthvoiceawards.com