Portsmouth Together is the volunteering development agency for Portsmouth. Our main aim is to champion volunteers and volunteering in the city and an important way to do this is by sharing the fantastic work that volunteers do in the city.
The Volunteer Website and Newsletter Editor will source and prepare content for the Portsmouth Together website and monthly newsletter.
Summary of Role:
Working closely with the Portsmouth Together team and member organisations to develop news and information updates are submitted for inclusion in the newsletter.
Researching and writing of short articles on topical issues relevant to the work of Portsmouth Together.
Edit copy where required - checking for consistency, accuracy and readability and tweaking as needed.
Creating new information posts and events for the Portsmouth Together website, using WordPress, and therefore knowledge of and ability to use WordPress is desirable.
Creation of the newsletter, using Mail Chimp and therefore knowledge of and ability to use Mail Chimp is desirable.
1. Good interpersonal skills - friendly and enjoys interacting with people
2. Basic research skills, especially online research
3. Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written format
4. Basic online web skills - experience of using Word Press and Mail Chimp or similar software is desirable.
5. Basic understanding of volunteering and the voluntary sector would be helpful, but not essential
6. Enthusiastic attitude and able to work to deadlines
7. Willingness to work as part of a small team
Everyone who works and volunteers with Portsmouth Together:
1. Works within the guidelines of the Volunteer Policy and related organisational policies and procedures (eg. Health and Safety, Equalities, Access, Child Protection, etc.)
2. Ensures the health and safety of customers, staff and volunteers by following designated procedures.
3. Acts as a representative and ambassador for Portsmouth Together.
4. All work undertaken and produced by staff and volunteers for and on behalf of Portsmouth Together, will remain the copyright of the organisation.
- To ensure regular updates to the website we are seeking someone who is able to give 4-6 hours per week.
- Volunteers can work from home and/or on agreed times at our office in Portsmouth central Library, which has a PC, printer/copier, and telephone. Reasonable out of pocket expenses will be met for appropriate travel expenses and administration costs (i.e., telephone, postage, photocopying). All expenses claims must be accompanied by relevant proof of expenditure.
- All volunteers have access to IT facilities; telephone etc. at our main office. Volunteers will be invited to attend an induction course at Portsmouth Library and will be able to attend regular team meetings and local volunteering workshops
- DBS check required
- Training provided
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Expenses reimbursed
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Written role description
- Volunteer induction
- Ongoing support
- Health and Safety Policy
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 05/02/2018
End Date: 05/02/2019
Volunteers can work from home and/or on agreed times at our office in Portsmouth central Library, which has a PC, printer/copier, and telephone.
Portsmouth central Library
More Opportunities from Portsmouth Together
Citizens Advice Portsmouth
Portsmouth Library and Archive Service
University of Portsmouth Students' Union