Essential to the sustainability and development of Portsmouth Sail Training Trust is the need to expand and strengthen our volunteer network, to support both our infrastructure and operational delivery.
We are seeking competent sailors – ideally with RYA Qualifications but this is not essential – to skipper our “Squib” sailing keelboats with young people, teaching them sailing skills as well as teamwork, communication and an appreciation of watersports and Portsmouth Harbour.
Reporting to the Chief Instructor, the role includes:
- Meeting and greeting our young people (aged 12-16), getting alongside them, getting to know them and encouraging them
- Sailing during the sessions, taking charge of the sailing boats, operating them safely and allowing the young people to take on roles within the boat up to and including the young people ultimately taking charge of the boat and working towards sailing qualifications themselves
- Looking after the young people’s welfare and operating a duty of care towards them (ie making sure they are wearing correct clothing, drinking enough water etc)
- Helping the Senior Instructor and session leaders with setting up activities, rigging boats, issuing waterproof kit to the young people, and helping at the end of the session with packing down and some basic boat checks etc
- Operating within the culture and ethos of PSTT
Essential skills, experience and attributes
- Good communication skills and ability to build a rapport with young people
- Reliable and punctual
- Competent sailor able to take charge of the sailing boat with novice crew
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience of instructing sailing – ideally with RYA Instructor Qualification and keelboat endorsement
- Suitable for under 18s
- DBS check required
All staff and volunteers are required to complete a DBS check regardless of their role.
- Training provided
- Volunteer policy
- Covered by insurance
- Expenses reimbursed
Reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed upon completion of an expense claim.
- Equal opportunities policy
- Written role description
PSTT is located within the Naval Dockyard so all volunteers without a security pass will be escorted into and around the premises by a member of staff.
- Volunteer induction
- Ongoing support
- Health and safety policy
When: 11/09/2017 - 27/07/2018
PSTT works to raise the aspirations of disadvantaged young people in Portsmouth and to help them break out of the unemployment cycle. Through on water and dry land training programmes, PSTT provides sustained support in the achievement of recognised quali
Portsmouth Sail Training Trust
19 College Road, HM Naval Base