To help ensure the smooth running and organisation of the Citizens Advice Portsmouth.
- Operate the reception and provide information.
- Welcome clients coming into the reception area.
- Explain waiting times and procedures to clients.
- Provide information about Citizens Advice and other advice services to clients from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures.
- Work collaboratively with other colleagues involved in the advice work process.
- Provide a service that is based on sensitivity and respect for clients.
- Acknowledge children and / or any special needs and take appropriate action.
- Maintain confidentiality about clients and their contact with the organisation.
- Consult the gateway / advice session supervisor appropriately.
- Work within agreed organisational systems and procedures.
- Answer the telephone and refer calls or take messages.
- Process client information collected at the reception helpdesk.
- Provide client with information where appropriate, including details of other agencies, and point out leaflets / fact sheets from the Citizens Advice website.
- Create, maintain and archive paper and electronic filing systems in accordance with the organisation's systems and procedures.
- Liaise with advice staff regarding support for individual clients.
- Maintain stocks of stationery, leaflets and posters in the reception area.
- Maintain online and other electronic appointment diaries.
- Update public information materials and information.
- Use IT for creating / updating records.
- Assist with research and campaigns work by providing information about clients' circumstances through the appropriate channel.
- Friendliness and approachability.
- Commitment to the Aims and Principles of the Citizens Advice service including the service's equality and diversity policies.
- An understanding of discrimination or the willingness to learn about it.
- Excellent verbal communication skills including telephone skills.
- Good numeracy and literacy skills.
- Ability to access relevant signposting information including electronic and written materials.
- Ability to implement administrative policies and procedures in a busy work environment.
- Good IT skills, including Word, email and internet.
- Flexibility and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Awareness of the potential needs of, and demands placed on, vulnerable clients.
- DBS check required
- Training provided
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Expenses reimbursed
subject to receipts being supplied
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Written role description
- Volunteer induction
- Ongoing support
- Health and Safety Policy
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 01/09/2017
End Date: 30/09/2018
10 hours a week
Ark Royal House
Winston Churchill Avenue
More Opportunities from Citizens Advice Portsmouth
Motor Neurone Disease Association - Portsmouth & SE Hants Group
Be There For Care
Drayton and Farlington Action Group
Mary Rose Trust