Message from the Lord Mayor
Portsmouth Together is the city’s high-impact service plan, developed with the support of Cities of Service, an international coalition of cities dedicated to engaging citizens locally to make a difference against pressing city issues. The following pages outline a coordinated strategy focused on matching volunteers and established community partners to some of Portsmouth’s areas of greatest local need. The service plan is a blueprint for action in Portsmouth, designed in response to the feedback of our community partners that overwhelmingly agreed our efforts must focus on addressing pressing local challenges: education; community & civic pride; sustainability.
As a result, Portsmouth Together will harness the collective talent and energy across our city to accomplish these primary goals:
- Enhance mentoring programmes for our young people in schools
- Recruit volunteers to support people in improving their confidence in using maths
- Encourage local street communities' projects
- Use volunteers in clearing lofts to help improve the insulation of homes
- More generally, increase citizen access to volunteer opportunities in the city
Portsmouth Together seeks to create a volunteer support network to accommodate and sustain this passion for service while helping to address the most pressing needs of our great city. I thank the many community partners without whom this effort would not be possible.
Well done, keep it up and get involved as together we will make a difference.